Dates for your diary:
- Steering Group meeting
Thursday May 8th, from 6.00 – 8.00 pm at Ealing Council’s offices at Perceval House, 14/16 Uxbridge Road, Ealing W5 2HL. The meeting will be held in Room 0.24, on the ground floor.
All supporters are welcome. Please report to Reception at the Staff Entrance on Longfield Avenue. To give us an idea of numbers, please let me know in advance if you plan to come. There will be Fairtrade refreshments!
- World Fairtrade Day
…is on Saturday 10th May. On Friday 9th May there are plans for a Fairtrade Market in Berwick Street, W1. Members of Ealing Fairtrade Group are invited to help on the Fairtrade London stall at this event. If you are interested, please let me know.
- Big Lunch Gunnersbury Park
Sunday June 1st. We will be organising a Fairtrade Picnic at this year’s Big Lunch in Gunnersbury Park. Please join us to sample some Fairtrade food and drink – and feel free to bring your own contribution.
- Hanwell Carnival
Saturday June 21st. We will have a stall at this annual event in Elthorne Park. Volunteers needed to help set up and man the stall during the day. Or please just come along and say hello to us!
- Ealing Fairtrade Awards
We will be discussing the awards at our Steering Group Meeting on May 8th, and we have formed a dedicated group of volunteers to work on the planning and implementation. If you would like to join this group, or can help by researching one of the categories, or would like to nominate your workplace, school, college, or a local shop or cafe, please let us know.
Here’s what we have been up to over the past 6 months:
- Fairtrade Fortnight Pop Up Shop in West Ealing. A successful week in the Pop Up Shop. We’d like to thank all the stall-holders who joined us or contributed goods for us to sell, and all the volunteers who helped to keep the shop open all week! http://ealingfairtrade.org.uk/
- Big Brew at St Mellitus Church Hanwell: The church celebrated Fairtrade Fortnight with a Fairtrade Big Brew on Wednesday 5th and Saturday 8th March
- Greenford High School During Fairtrade Fortnight, group member Devi Joshi, who is in Year 11 at Greenford High, spoke about Fairtrade at each year group’s assembly, and the school committed to raise awareness of and funds for Fairtrade. A banner was displayed in reception and hundreds of leaflets were distributed.
- Valentines Bake Sale at Ealing Council. Now becoming an annual event, this is a popular fund-raiser for the group, and was held at Perceval House on February 13th.
- Craft Fair at Ealing Council: December 2013. A new venture for us, a pre-Christmas craft fair featuring Love That Stuff, Mamacha, and WOW Bags: Photos from the Fairtrade craft fair
- Fairtrade Stall at Questors House and Garden Fete October/November 2013: We ran a Fairtrade stall at a special indoor fete run by Questors Theatre to coincide with their popular production of Alan Ayckbourne’s two-part comedy, House and Garden.
Cecilie Jakobsgaard, a Masters Student from Denmark, is currently volunteering with the group whilst carrying out research for her thesis on how volunteers contribute to Fairtrade. Read her interim report on our website at: Cake and fairness: an anthropologists’ first thoughts on the fairtrade boroughs.
Still Time to Stick with Foncho! The Fairtrade Fortnight campaign to Make Bananas Fair is still running – until World Fairtrade Day on May 10th. If you have not already done so, you can sign the petition here: http://foncho.fairtrade.org.uk
On behalf of Ealing Fairtrade Group